More information on our volunteer / production staff roles coming soon.
Assistant Director / Stage Manager [AD/SM]
Set Design & Construction
Lighting & Sound Design
The director is responsible for all aspects of production from casting through delegation and coordination.
- Read script and develop concept of production.
- Select production staff to include producer and assistant director/stage manager (AD/SM). For musicals, also select music director and choreographer.
- Communicate production concept to production crew chairs.
- Develop budget allocations with producer.
- Present concept, cast, and special requirements to the CPP Board for approval.
- Determine audition dates and rehearsal schedule in cooperation with AD/SM.
- Determine blocking for production.
- Select assistant director/stage manager.
- In the case of a musical production, select music director and choreographer.
- Select audition scenes with AD/SM.
- Create casting committee to include AD/SM, producer, one board member, and others
as appropriate. For musicals, include the music director and choreographer.
- Conduct auditions:
- Communicate cast and character requirements to auditioning actors.
- Consult with casting committee members about auditioning actors’ suitability for specific roles.
- Determine cast. Director has final cast approval.
- Announce cast as soon as practical. Call actors who are cast before anyone else in case someone turns down a role and it needs to be re-cast.
The CPP Board of Directors has appointed an audition chairperson who works in cooperation with the director and producer to obtain actor information sheets and staff the audition sign-in process.
- Communicate rules for rehearsal locations to cast members and ensure compliance.
- Work with cast to develop characterization consistent with production concept.
- Meet with production and technical crews regularly. At four to six weeks before opening night, meet weekly to ensure production concept continuity.
- Attend production meetings.
- Consult with production and technical crews to ensure adherence to production concept.
- Attend all technical rehearsals.
Run of Show
- Attend opening night and Afterglow.
- Attend performances.
- Attend cast party.
- Attend strike and ensure all areas used by CPP are left in pre-use condition.
- Write thank-you notes as needed.